7.10.2011

found it: Dutch Baby

What I made this morning... 
I have never heard of a Dutch Baby until last week.  I stumbled across a picture of one that caught my eye and I just love the name!  So I did a little research and apparently they are quite popular. According to Wiki a Dutch baby was originally served as a set of 3 smaller ones but eventually morphed into one large pancake.  It said they were introduced in the 1900s at Manca's Cafe located in Seattle who owned the trademark for them but they closed in the 1950s.  Here's the Wikipedia  link if you want to learn more.

It's basically, flour, eggs, butter, sugar and salt.  I used a recipe from The Food Network courtesy of Melissa d'Arabrian [remember her? she won The Next Food Network Star].  Mine didn't puff up as much because I had to use gluten free flour (husband is allergic to gluten).

I love home fries so whipped up a batch - mmmmmmmmmmmmm
The Baby was HUGE so you can definitely split it up among a few people.  It was a dense but fluffy and flaky pancake.  Now that I've followed the recipe I have some ideas of how I would dress it up a bit.  Bananas, blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries would be a good start.  We had ours with a little bit of maple syrup and I nixed the confectioners' sugar.
Have you ever had one? 

2 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

that looks DELICIOUS!!! and i don't even know what's in it, but pretty sure i would eat it and find out. :)

Ali Richardson said...

YUMMY YUM YUM! YUM

My email ~~ fleawith@gmail.com ~~