4.19.2011

Container Planting With Character

Obviously I've been flea-ing for some time prior to starting my blog.  
I thought it would be fun to highlight some of my finds by theme.


Spring has sprung  here in Tennessee so 
I decided to do some container planting last weekend.
I can never walk away from old planters, pails, buckets, etc.
No matter the condition - rust and all - my hand just automatically picks them up. 
[just like i explained to my husband that my car automatically turns into the thrift store parking lot]
Maybe because I grew up on a farm they have some meaning to me.  
Many people would consider them trash but I think they look so 
awesome when paired with plants.
cast iron

vintage metal basket 

this plant looks a little pathetic but i've had it forever
when we moved here it died on me, or so i thought, but look!! it's alive!!



isn't the color on these hostas fantastic?
I bought these three HUGE hanging baskets at an antique mall.  


The label said Antique French [who knows but they look the part]
and I got them for $10/ea on sale. 
Have you priced planters lately??? 
They are crazy expensive new - I think these add much character AND are wallet friendly.

I pulled this rusty child's chair out of the bushes behind my house when 
we were doing yard work last fall.  
The pot has an Elephant Ear bulb in it.
No instant gratification here so I thought I'd give it the chair...

Do you use any "unique" planters?



7 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

those look so fun and whimsical! i have some old sap buckets hangong on my fence that i use as well as a vintage aqua rusty metal child's walker. i also have some galvanized buckets, and i have two old chairs missing seats that i use at my front door for planters. i love repurposing for the garden.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love your rusty and unique planters. I found one enamel tub last year at the Worlds Longest Yard sale and plan to plant something in it this year.

Stacey said...

Wow! You have a great blog and taste and style and ect.!! Now a follower and thanks for the nice things you said on my blog!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love all of the metal containers. I wonder if the metal basket was a funeral basket for flowers?? Happy Easter!

Carol

Unknown said...

Very pretty, Jen! I have a large galvanized wash tub (like yours) that is cracked/split on one edge & razor sharp. I can't use it indoors because of that so I thought I'd plant an herb garden in it. These pics inspire me to actually follow through with it!

Hugs,
Jami

Unknown said...

(Add another "n" to your name up there for me. lol)

Lisa said...

from one Tennessean to another...I love your planters. I am the same way..the more rust, the better for me! Great post.

My email ~~ fleawith@gmail.com ~~