4.15.2012

Three Sisters

The other day I was at the thrift store and came across this gigantic lamp I would guess was from the 60's or 70's - I am basing this on my professional opinion of the oh so gross gold/yellow stained/chipped color.
What caught my eye - three girls.  I am the youngest of 5 kids, 2 boys, 3 girls.  My sisters right above me, each 3 years apart.  Growing up we had the typical sister fights - clothes, chores, who is using the phone too long (kids this was back in the day one household had one phone and it actually took about 45 seconds to dial a number).  We grew up on a farm so there was always work to be done on any given day.  I wouldn't trade in that childhood for anything.  We were tired, healthy, and had to have a sense of imagination to keep ourselves entertained.  

My sisters and I couldn't be more opposite but at the same time exactly the same in our core.  Julie, the oldest is the caretaker, organizer, mama. Laurie the middle sister is the energetic, hair on fire, always landing on her feet kind of girl, and lastly me, the baby, the athlete, the competitive sibling. We are thick as thieves now.  

So back to the lamp - awww they are so sad.  


and now...


This lamp is 3' tall and weighs a ton.  I found a hand sewn silk lampshade for FIVE DOLLARS at the same thrift store.



  All three girls have different faces, hair, and dresses but my most FAVORITE part is that they are standing back to back holding hands.  

Just like my sisters and I..

4 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

how sweet is that! and can i say welcome back? :)

Ali Richardson said...

SOOOO sweet! I love meaningful thrifty finds!? Hey - it's been a while...how r u?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jennifer for being the best little sister..the lamp says it all. I know you and Julie always have "my back" and are always there to "hold my hand"
Love you girls

theshabbyhome.blogspot.com said...

I love that lamp! You have finished it beautifully... and I love the story.

My email ~~ fleawith@gmail.com ~~